Thursday, July 7, 2011

I'm so jealous




A capybara


A groundhog

A kangaroo! 
I'm so jealous of Mel's job.  Well maybe not of the groundhog.  When I was a kid on the orchard we couldn't get rid of enough of those guys.  We had this collie named Alex.  Alex was allowed to roam all over the orchard.  He had this dislike of groundhogs.  He'd mess with them.  Finally, one day, we heard this horrible moan/howl from the edge of the pear orchard next to our large vegetable garden.  There in the tall orchard grass was Alex, flat on his belly, head stretched forward, and howling with his mouth on the ground.  He couldn't open his jaw so the ground was muffling his pleas.  The reason he was so prostrated was a groundhog had a hold of his nose.  Bit right threw the black fleshy part and he wasn't letting go.  My grandfather had to help poor Alex out and, well, the groundhog was worse for ware.  From that point on Alex hated groundhogs.  He'd go miles out of his way to hunt them down. 

That's not this guy of course.  I think his name is Digger.  Mel says he will pull and pull on his harness till he realizes he's not going anywhere then plops flat on his belly with his legs sprawled out.  Then when whomever is walking him relaxes on his harness he darts forward to gain a little ground.  Pull, relax, dart, gain some ground, and repeat. 

We had another bonfire on Tuesday!  Hopefully this turns out to be a weekly thing.  I made some homemade marshmallows.  Check out this link:  http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/06/springy-fluffy-marshmallows/ .  It's from Smitten Kitchen.  DO NOT mistype it and put in Smitten Kitten!  Those marshmallows where great.  They don't catch fire and char like I like them, but they melt beautifully for smores.  Plus they actually have a flavor to them.  So easy to make and a great treat.

Cabbage??!!  Yes, I have a new friend in cabbage.  I love cole slaw.  I even liked the steamed cabbage on the ships.  But I am in love with Cabbage Strudel.  This one comes from Suzie's Farm:  http://www.suziesfarm.com/index.php?/site/C28/, and the blog is aptly titled "WTF?".  It is amazing hot or cold.  I cut it into 1/2 inch thick slices and served it cold at the bonfire.  So good. 

Last one I promise because I am making myself hungry.  Padron peppers, the little ones that is.  They do come a little bigger but I am digging the little ones.  I picked this recipe up from the peeps at the bonfire.  Seed them and de-rib them.  Fill with cream cheese.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes in a pan semi-heavily coated with olive oil.  Delicious! 

Enough with the food talk.  I've made some great friends with the other apprentices at Suzie's and each of them is incredible.  Hopefully I'll get more recipes that I can share here!

No comments:

Post a Comment