Thursday, June 23, 2011

Why did Tierra Miguel Farm Close? Part 2

This is the continuation from yesterday.   I want to stress that this isn't meant as a rant.  Nor is it meant to place blame.  I was at Tierra Miguel.  So naturally I have to shoulder some of the burden of the place closing.  This is only me trying to find some good out of a terrible situation.  I need help understanding how something so good could go away.

5.  Loss sight of core business - There were just too many extras.  We forgot that the CSA paid the bills and we allowed it to dwindle to a point where it was not even covering operational costs.  There were too many distractions - namely the grant.  See below.

6.  Operational costs exceeded revenue.  There was a whole host of costs incurred by the farm that shouldn't have been there.  We bought in compost because an effective composting program wasn't in place.  Our irrigation was old and leaky which was essentially throwing money out the window.  Our soil needed extreme love.  We were constantly using it which meant it needed lots of water and compost.  Having too big a presence in Los Angeles and not locally added to our delivery costs.  The chickens, sigh, the chickens.  We got them without a clear plan or budget for them.  Nor did we have the infrastructure in place - prior- to help us realize sales from them.  So they became something we had to pay for rather than a viable enterprise on the farm.  Salaries were too high.  It was a nonprofit.  Granted some of the salaries were paid for by the grant but the grant was reimbursable.   So we had to make the money first.

7.  No significant advertising or marketing.  We couldn't afford to hire a marketing pro.  Plus as you drove down 76 or Cole Grade Rd there was no signs advertising our place.  We hit up Facebook but that had such a limited audience.  We were starting to get word of mouth but that was due to the flurry of energy given by all near the end.  Word of mouth is the best form of advertising but it requires excellent customer service and a great product.  Both of which we had been lacking till several months ago.  Too little too late.

8.  Non-profit model - fundraising.  This was something we did not do.  Technically, it was also part of our core business.  We had lost our relevance in the community.  By not being out there, every day, showing and telling people what we were doing for the community, they forgot about us.

9.  Lack of people - It is 85 acres.  It is also a teaching center and the grant home.  There was too much work for the small staff.

10.  Decrease in quality / undervaluing product - The quality of our product declined over time.  This is an effect of losing sight of our core business.  But when we did have a decent product we undervalued it.  We needed the sales because of our large operating costs and debt.

11.  Wholesale - This is the death of a small farm.  Whenever you add a middle man you are devaluing your product.  Not only do wholesalers want your product cheap they also demand you use their packaging which adds to your cost not theirs.  I'm very angry about this and since this is my blog here it goes.  Wholefoods isn't as great as they make themselves out to be.  Remember what I said about a business is a business?  The free market doesn't care.  Well Wholefoods understands that very well.  A second place I dislike and will never do business with is Moceri.  We got into a position where we owed them money.  They threatened collections unless we sold them cases of strawberries for almost half what we normally sell them at wholesale.  The labor costs for picking them was barely covered.  They had us over a barrel and they took advantage of the situation.  The sad thing is that the guy who owns it used to be a farm manager at TMF.     I want to add some changes here.  First I was mistaken about Moceri.  I did not know the full situation.  Moceri is a family owned company that has been in business for generations.  They did not threaten collections.  One of their buyers, who used to be the farm manager at TMF, was the one who threatened collections.  Legally he could not do that - only the owners can.  So this just adds to the character of this man or more aptly detracts from it.  Second, wholesale has its place.  I still feel that wholesale is the death of a small farm if that is its only means of income.  It is dangerous to generalize situations.  Each business transaction for each product one produces should be scrutinized and generalizations should be avoided.  That said, I believe wholesale should be something that a small farm does after it has created retail markets for itself and perfected the quality of their product.  This way it is just another diversified income stream.

I feel myself getting more angry at the second.  So forgive me if I lose objectivity here.

12.  Dysfunctional Board - I've seen less people at a $1 black jack table in Vegas then on our board.  That was till lately.  Then the board consisted of two people.  One who was too vocal and the other non-existent.  We tried to get new members onto the board that could help us with building relationships, fundraising, marketing, and straight up business savvy.  But the existing board was like the worm in the apple.  Rotting the fruit from the inside.  No one wanted to be a part of that and I don't blame them.

13.  Rent - This is what it came down to.  We were so far behind in rent that our landlords finally said enough is enough and they weren't renewing our lease.  I can't blame them.  They put up with us for so long.  We didn't cultivate a good relationship with them.  Life is all about relationships, nurture them and you will succeed.

14.  Grant - I concede that I don't know much about it.  But here is what I do know.  It was a grant from the CDC to help fight childhood obesity.  From the grant grew the San Diego Growers.  The problem is that most places (like wholefoods) and institutions (like schools) require their sellers to have large insurance policy.  In the neighborhood of $5M.  Large distribution companies have these insurances and this is why they exist.  The small farmer can't really afford this.  So TMF acted as the umbrella for the SD Growers to become started.  This was all good.  UCSD administered the grant.  This means the CDC gave them the money and they then held onto it (and got and administration fee) and we got paid for all our grant work through them.  They made it a reimbursable grant - it didn't have to be, the CDC had no requirements for this.  So we had to spend the money, pay the bills from our operating income, then invoice UCSD to get paid back 3-4 weeks after we invoiced them.  You see how the problem compounds?

So the problems that TMF faced where many and they fed into one another.  Also there were a lot of cohorts in the eventual demise - it wasn't just the staff.  In fact we tried very hard.  We just made mistakes and the farm wasn't in a position to bounce back from them.  Running a business is a complex thing to do.  I am sure that I missed more lessons learned and I'm also sure that some of what I wrote people will disagree with.  That's fine.  That's good even.  The important thing is to look at the situation and learn from it.  Take what you will.  This experience has been invaluable to me.

I've tried not to be emotional about this post.  But I don't apologize for being angry.  A very wise woman told me it is ok to be mad at everyone involved.  Because it is those things that you care about that you are mad about.  Sit back and examine what they are and you'll see the things you value.  I'm very mad about Tierra Miguel closing.

10 comments:

  1. For someone fighting back emotions, that's a pretty detailed analysis. Seems very complete yet concise; coming from someone unfamiliar with it all.

    I look forward to seeing how this pans out over time, Chris. When I first met you, you seemed very hippee/surfer to me; seems you are getting back to your roots. Ouch, dreadful pun, that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the hippie/surfer thing has only gotten worse here in SoCal! It's all good though. Thanks for the nice comments and please keep reading. This is something we want to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,
    This blog really struck a chord with me. I am, on a daily basis, drawing similarities to TMF and my current job. I may be writing up a short excerpt that references similarities between TMF and a current project that I am working. Being a hippie/surfer with smart business sense is not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On another note, we enjoyed our visit to TMF and I shared my experience with a number of people, but as you said before, too little too late.
    I believe people who achieve greatness, have definitely fallen down more than once and truly learn from their mistakes. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dustan, I am so glad that I was able to share the farm with you that one day. Not many people get to share what they love to do with their friends. Please feel free to use the info - that is what it is there for. Well I have fallen MANY times, so here is to our shared success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are your neighbors inside the Country Club...(with 11 acres and the eucalyptus grove to the east of you)...we are sorry to see you go, but feel like there is some closure now that we can read your account. Thank you for being willing to share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tamara,

    It is sad to have gone but change happens. I'm glad that what I wrote has given you closure. I know that writing it gave me closure and allowed me to move on to new opportunities. Please bookmark this blog as there are about to be many more exciting things happening in the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chris-

    Thanks for posting this. I've been calling on the phone and scouring the Internet off and on for months looking for any info on what the hell happened. I went as far as trying to track down Mil Krecu at Stone Breweries, in vain. I'm a longtime LA-area CSA member, and I was furious when TM disappeared off the face of the earth without so much as an explanation, much less an apology, from anyone. I made that long drive to volunteer on the farm twice, once with a year-old baby. I met several people who seemed goodhearted if maybe a little scattered, and I would never have guessed that the people running such an idealistic organization would allow themselves not only to fail, which is always a risk, but to fail without showing any respect for those who had put trust in them and been loyal supporters, in ways financial and not.

    I always renewed my CSA membership with the maximum dollar amount, both to get maximum discount (we are of modest means, and the produce at TM was expensive) and to show my support of the farm. I did so early this year again as usual, despite feeling that the quality and quantity of the boxes of late had been suffering. My faith really came back to bite me on that decision, because I had a $250 credit, 10 weeks' worth, when the deliveries stopped coming. I realize this is a small sum for a farm even of TM's scale, but it is a very large sum for my family's food budget. Despite not being among the wealthy LA folks one might imagine would go for organic produce, we always spent the extra money to support a food system less dangerous to the environment, our health, and our workers. Such a system will never be possible if only rich people buy from it.

    I have to say, though, that TM's failure has taught me too a valuable lesson, one that might be dispiriting for those trying to build that food system. I will be more wary, and less generous, in supporting the efforts of well-meaning but questionably professional people who run enterprises like this. I have already cut back from my involvement with (and purchases from) a meat producer who is showing similar signs of mismanagement. It's depressing to me that even in a state as fertile as CA, a city as large as LA, I still have to choose between competence and ethics.

    Thus TM did not just fail its own employees or its mission. It failed the movement of which it attempted to be a part. I might not have felt this way if, in the final event, the farm had at least communicated with its subscribers, letting them know what had happened, providing some sort of explanation, perhaps a mea culpa or two. We all knew we were sharing the risks of farming, which are significant, and I suppose a refund of our outstanding credit was out of the question if the farm ran out of cash and got evicted. But the craven and evasive way the farm management just turned tail and disappeared showed a pretty stunning lack of professionalism and basic courtesy for ordinary people who went to some lengths over the years to support the enterprise. There's a lot of talk in the CSA/farmer's market community about getting to know the farmers, restoring the community links between the people who buy and eat and the people who plant and grow. This was a poor showing for that principle.

    In any case, thank you for being the only source of any information whatsoever on the closing. I wish you the best of luck in your future enterprises, and hope you remember this not only for its lessons about farm management, but about its lessons for how to make good on the community that true agricultural stewardship should be making between farmers and their customers.

    Best regards,
    I. Chang

    ReplyDelete
  9. I. Chang please read the newest blog for my comment. They won't let me put it here. Thank you again for commenting and I look forward to engaging you more on this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I. Chang - well said. I have been a far-flung supporter of the farm for a dozen years now, from its near-beginning. Truthfully, its management has always been dicey but I, too, was very surprised at the utter silence upon its demise. I appreciate learning what I can from this blog, thank you Chris.

    p.s. - I made the long field trip once too with 4 children under 5 and another 'cooking' (not all mine). It was memorable. I feel quite adrift since that mental cord is severed with the farm down south. Truthfully, I'm still in mourning. What I think your comment expressed is how betrayed many subscribers feel. I certainly feel that way, above and beyond the money. One gentleman who came to my dropoff site had donated 200K - that's gone too of course. But how could there eventually have been absolutely no one with enough responsibility simply to state what had happened?

    It's really deeply upsetting.

    ReplyDelete