Sunday, June 26, 2011

San Diego County Fair 2011


I love going to Fairs!!

I have since I was a little kid and now that I am a big kid I love them even more.  My favorite part is the livestock barns.  But I do love all the Ag displays and the shiny new tractors.  Even though I believe in no-till those tractors sure are pretty.  Tonka for adults! My favorite ride at Disney World is that calm boat ride through the farming display at Epcot Center.  Mel makes fun of me for it. 

 
I fell in love with this horse.  He's a draft horse and my dream is to have a beautiful pair of them.  My vision is to buy 50 acres in TN that is completely forested.  I'm going to sustainably harvest some of those trees to build our home.  A timber and frame home put together with pegs and joints.  I want to use two of these magnificent animals to help me drag the fallen timber from the woods.  They'll do less damage getting in and out than a tractor will.  It's going to be amazing!



Speaking of horses look at the size of this one!  He's a Belgian which is normally big but this guy, named Hercules, is off the chart.  1 1/2 tons of horse = 3000 lbs.  Three times the normal Belgian weight.  Granted Mel is short but this guy is crazy!








They had a steer there named White Mountain that was incredible too.  I got a little too close to the backside!  Amazing.







They had Turkey races which I want to do in TN.  I still need to convince Mel.

Pig races which have to be some of the cutest things.

Who couldn't forget the food!  Nasty, greasy, fair food!  Why is it that the food itself is an attraction?  We're sensible eaters and really try to take care of ourselves but when we go to the fair all bets are off.  We had:  chili cheese hotdog, seasoned fries, soft serve icecream in an M&M cone, deep fried thin mints, pulled pork sandwich, caramel apple, cotton candy, funnel cake, and hot chocolate.  I think I just got sick typing that.  

There was no animal call contest to enter this year.  Well there is but I have to work on that day.  So I won't be around to defend my title.  But just to allow me to relive my former glory one more time.  Here's a clip from the fair last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment